Nick

I just discovered this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter-2-alchemist

First of all, I am not helping them to promote the campaign here. Just want to share what is happening recently on the 2D animation software market. I own a few spine licenses for my team and I like the UI of spine and I never tried their software not to mention I don't like the way they update their software as version 2 and charge their user again and make an alchemist add-on and charge one more time.
The point is, they in fact did something very interesting and amazing based on the demo video and I think you guys here will be interested and this could also give spine developers some insights on the future too. They are just a team of one programmer plus one artist. Don't lose to them. Spine developers!

P.S. I especially like the way they allow user to add custom controls on the canvas. Many other things are interesting too like deforming a group of mesh together with one mesh overlay.
Nick
  • 記事: 137

Mario

Neat, best of luck to team Spriter, healthy competition is a good thing. The demo video is interesting, but as the runtimes guy, I can already see them having massive headaches getting this stuff to run performantly in game engines. The UI also seems to follow no clear principles, custom controls on canvas not withstanding. Let's see what they actually release later this summer!
アバター
Mario

Mario
  • 記事: 2268

Nate

I do wish the Brash Monkey guys the best of luck with their projects, but IMHO they focus on fancy features without having solid basics first. In their Kickstarter project they blur the lines between game toolkit and animation tools. Doing those things makes their projects very ambitious, especially considering their historical progress on Spriter.

FWIW, Spine development started 9 months after Spriter was first released. We needed a skeletal animation solution for our projects and Spriter couldn't do it. It has now been more than 7 years and you can compare state of the two apps.
アバター
Nate

Nate
  • 記事: 9642

Return to Editor