RollCaskett

Hello! It has been so long since I have been here. Hope to be more active on the forums as I finally will be putting my nose to the grindstone to learn all I can about game graphics and animation with Spine. :grinteeth:

So one thing I would like to do is create just a very simple Sky background. I would like it to be a gradient in which I can control the top, middle, and bottom colors of the sky separately.

Currently I have it restricted to an exact 1440 x 2560 size. I have some solid and gradiated squares tiled vertically and horizontally to build fill out the whole screen size. The gradient tiles create the transition between the colors.

The unfortunate thing I am running into with this is that there are seams everywhere when it is implemented in game. I have tried all kinds of settings to try and solve this problem,but they haven't gone away. (See attached image) I can make most of them go away on the solid square by slightly overlapping the tiles, but if I try this with the gradient squares I get seams created by the overlapping opacity. I'd really like to make the packed image page as small as possible as I am sure doing a solid 1440x2560 image is probably not a good way to go about this? Any help is much appreciated! :heart:
添付ファイルを見るにはパーミッションが必要です
RollCaskett
  • 記事: 9

Erika

Hello! It may help to place your gradients at non-integer coordinates (that is to say, only numbers without decimals) so that the placement can be easier.
Perhaps having the root in a corner of the image may help as well.
アバター
Erika

Erikari
  • 記事: 2512

Nate

That's an awfully lot of images just to make a gradient. I used this 4x4 image (it could have been 1x2 pixels, but I was feeling crazy):
http://n4te.com/x/7780-gradient.png
To make this:

I scaled it up and made it a mesh to control the gradient:

This only took a few seconds, you could get much nicer results with a little more effort!
アバター
Nate

Nate
  • 記事: 9765

RollCaskett

@Erika @Nate

Thanks so much for your replies. I actually realized that there were dirty pixels on the edges of the solid bg tile and it fixed a lot of the issues. I did do scaling on a new gradient tile separate from this but did make it quite a bit larger than 4x4. I think it is 256 x 256. Never thought of making it a mesh though for controls. I shy away from meshes cause I am not the best with them, but perhaps I can handle a rectangle one. lol.

When it comes to tiles, how do you determines the best size to make them? Optimizing is going to be pretty important soon for my team's project. :)
RollCaskett

Nate

The best size for memory is the smallest dimensions in pixels. The best size to reduce pixel fill rate is the smallest rendered size. Using a tiny image that you scale up is great for memory, but of course still eats up some fill rate.
Metrics - Spine User Guide: Performance

Spine is unlikely to be the most efficient way to render a lot of tiles. You'd be better off using something made specifically for tilemaps. That way only the tiles on screen will be drawn and you'll have tilemap tools to make building maps easier. You could render Spine skeletons on top of the tilemap.
アバター
Nate

Nate
  • 記事: 9765

RollCaskett

@Nate Thanks so much for the info. I shall take a look at the user guide as well. :)
RollCaskett

Return to Editor